Guide Table of Contents
- Last Updated May 12, 2015
156 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 18, 2015
This guide contains databases, web sites and print resources for industry information.
240 views this year
- Last Updated May 20, 2015
7,502 views this year
Review your assignment
GROUP PROJECT: Each group member choses a publicly owned company within the same industry.
External environment: Socio-cultural, demographic, economic, legal/poliical, global trends, technological
Industry Specific information using Porter's Five Forces: Threats (new entrants,substitutes), power of buyers and suppliers, internal rivalry
INDIVIDUAL RESEARCH PAPER: Internal environmental analysis of firm. Compare competitors and industry.
Qualitative: Strategy, positioning, leadership, board of directors, organizational culture (CSR) and structure.
Quantitative: Analyzing accounting ratios: profitability, liquidity, leverage and activity (3-4 yrs)
What type of companies would work best for this type of project?
Need to present a robust set of financials? Then consider this set of criteria for your firm choice
- Publicly Owned Companies
- Parent Companies
- Companies with a track record of financials
- Companies which share the same industry code
Trying to benchmark a company based on qualitative information?
- Then try some quick searches in the business article databases to find out how much has been openly reported on the company? If you have chosen a small, or a privately held firm for analysis, you will probably find less information.
- Remember the home town newspaper or local business journal is often an excellent source of information about a company.
- Be careful! Do not rely on the company's website for all of the information about the company.
Where Can I find the Best Sources?
Try a variety of sources to find information for your paper. Remember you want credible sources. So try to verify your information by finding multiple sources which confirm your original source whether they be in the databases or in the open web.
Use the databases because the indexed sources have been selected as reliable starting points. Subject headings will help you build on your original search.
Databases can also help you cite. Look for this icon at the record level